Thursday, May 26, 2011

Giving Back

I decided not to risk getting stuck in unbearable traffic this afternoon, so I went over to the Pentagon slug lines to pick up some slugs after work. I got kind of turned around getting over there, but once you're close enough to the Pentagon it's hard not to find it.

The Pentagon parking lot is hectic. Tons of cars. Traffic cops telling you where to go and doing it in a not-so-efficient manner (in my experience). I made it over to the circle where the slug line that I needed to go to was, and passed by a few other slug lines in the circle before reaching mine. The Pentagon's slugging system is very formal and organized and they have signs for the locations permanently placed in the concrete. What is difficult is getting around the other slug lines in the circle to get to yours because there are cars trying to merge back into the circle once they've picked up slugs, and you're trying to get over to the right at the same time. Shocking there aren't more fender benders. Although I have seen some fights.

Anyways. I got to the front of the line and picked up two riders. My second rider was a middle aged asian woman who when she got into my car said, "Oh, perfect. Thank goodness. It's so hot out there!" It may seem silly, but if you've ever slugged, you know that feeling of being sooo grateful there is a car going to your destination right as you walk up to the line. I felt pretty good being on the other side of that equation. 

Then she stuck an umbrella in front of her face to block the sun from her entire body and I just wanted to burst out laughing. It was a struggle, but I can report back that I did not laugh in her face. I just smiled. And then decided to share it on my blog. Maybe you had to be there. 

Either way, I felt good about picking up slugs and returning the favor I've been on the other side of so many times, even if I wasn't returning it to the specific people who picked me up.

3 comments:

  1. it was SO hot yesterday. i was thankful that i go to bob's and not rolling valley. :) so many bob's cars at 14th and constitution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She put an umbrella over her face... in your car? So sweet.

    Has anyone complained about your erratic lane changing and overuse of both the gas and brake pedals? haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuse me? I do not overuse the gas and brake pedals...Erratic lane changing I'll admit to haha.

    ReplyDelete