Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Slugging Theories

I think I'm finally going to acknowledge the theory I have that if I arrive at the slug lot at 7:30am, there will be no cars pulling up going to my destination until about 7:45. Every time I show up at 7:30, I end up waiting until 7:45 anyways. I used to get there a little bit earlier and I could get a ride, so I think that if I showed up 5-10 minutes earlier perhaps there would be some cars for my destination. But 7:30 is the cutoff. That's why I started being lazy and leaving my house around 7:30-7:40. Getting there earlier didn't help, it just meant I had to stand around for 10-15 minutes. I think I'm going to try going a bit earlier if I can get myself out of my bed, and see if the pattern is true.

Regardless, the line was exceptionally long this morning, and I had to accept a ride a few blocks from my office. Really not a big deal. I'm not that lazy. I can walk a few blocks. Especially when it's nice in the morning. It's just so convenient to be dropped off right in front of your office. Spoiled, I know.

I rode with my carpool yesterday afternoon and noticed the slug line was crazy long then, as well. My friend went to the afternoon slug line yesterday, and told me that some fellow sluggers were discussing how the gas prices were influencing more people to start slugging. Makes sense. Gas prices are astronomical with no decline in sight, as far as I can tell. Watching your money flow out of your wallet as the gas tank creeps closer to empty as you sit in rush hour traffic on 395 can't be an optimistic start to your morning. With an increased amount of riders though, we need an increased amount of drivers.

Usually I've found the drivers are the ones who have their parking covered by their company, or have a unique schedule such that they need to drive in the morning in case they need to leave at an odd time in the afternoon. Some people also drive because they have to be somewhere at a certain time without fail and can't rely on the fate of the slug line getting them there on time. But mostly, it's the ones who have their parking paid for. Or don't mind paying for the absurd DC parking garage fees. "Early bird" fees, meaning you arrive before 9am (time varies with garage), are still ridiculous, ranging from $9-$25 in the 14 x 6 block area around my office. The Early Bird fee at my parking garage is $10, and that's one of the cheaper ones.

So while I'd love the independence that comes with being the driver in the slug lot, I like to leave that splurge for days like Federal Holidays when the roads are traffic-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment