Thursday, March 17, 2011

Afternoon Singer

I recently started carpooling with a couple of fellow sluggers in the afternoon. It began when I got in their car one afternoon , and they started up a conversation about slugging and I said that I had walked from pretty far away to get to this particular line, because the other lines near my office didn't have drivers that went to my slug lot where I was parked. We figured out that she wasn't too far from me, and since she had another rider already who carpooled with her, if I could meet her a couple blocks from my office in the afternoon, we could bypass the slug-line and go straight to the HOV lane.

This afternoon though, my carpool driver left work early, so I walked to the slug lot like I used to do every day with my friend and coworker, to be known as S from here on out. I was at the front of the line for my lot, and she was about six people deep in the line for her lot. But she was at the front by the time I got into a car, because there's usually more drivers going to her lot than mine (whole other story).

Anyways, I got into a Mini Cooper with a lady I'd never ridden with before. I got in the back because the guy who was getting in with me was very tall, and well, I am not. I've ridden with a lot of "talkers"* lately, and she was another one of them. Not that I mind, but it's amusing to observe the different styles of drivers. She had some kind of new computer technology in her Mini Cooper where the radio would be, and she was playing Pandora off of her iPod. Blasting "The Fray" and the like, obviously very proud of her new technology. She noted to the passenger in the front seat that she could also check her Facebook on this. "How great is that?" By the last stretch of our ride, she was singing along.



*Talkers are drivers that I've found love to have conversations with the sluggers and are eager to have us respond, as opposed to the quiet drivers who like to ride home in silence and don't like to start a conversation, nor continue one that a slugger starts, except for a simple "thanks , have a great night," at the end of the drive.

5 comments:

  1. I miss slugging. By far the fastest way to get to work from the suburbs. My Dad's been doing it for like 30 years. He goes from Bob's - I used to go from Rolling Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's pretty quick compared to metro and driving in the regular lanes. I use Rolling Valley, but my coworker uses Bob's. I'm just too lazy to drive to Bob's in the morning haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like there is some potential for disagreements between you and S, just based on your brief description.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha no never, Allie. I feel like I'm on Gossip Girl calling her S, btw. But it was easiest. Not creative enough to make up a fake name haha. Because so many people read my blog that I need to keep her identity private...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it, I think it adds an air of mystery to the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete