Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Old Faces in New Scenes

This morning I slugged in with the parents of one of my good friends from high school. We used to hang out at his house a lot so I know his parents fairly well, but I hadn't seen them in a while so I didn't immediately put it together. I couldn't really see their faces once I got in the back seat so I was kind of leaning and trying to see if it was them. Not creepy at all. I was pretty sure it was, but I didn't want to ride the rest of the way in awkward silence if I said something and it turned out not to be. The other guy who rode with us happened to know my friend's dad, as well, so when he said his name kind of hesitantly since he didn't seem to be 100% sure either, it was confirmed.


There's yet another twist to the story. My friend's dad is the president of the temp agency that I went through to get hired in my current job. He's also placed a bunch of our friendsin companies where they've been hired full time. The first thing he asked was how I was doing at my company, and he remembered specifically where I was. I was impressed especially since he wasn't even the one handling my case at the time.


We caught up and talked about our work and some of our mutual friends during the excessively long trip into DC (395 traffic was horrible since it was drizzling). I play my friend in WordsWithFriends on my iPhone and his dad just recently got the iPhone and downloaded it. He accidentally resigned while we were driving in, and was pretty upset because he had "quark" all ready to go. I've done that before so I felt his pain. Plus his son's kicking my ass right now. (Shout out to one of my six followers, haha.) It was pretty funny seeing them in the slugging scene, but he's been slugging for a long time and as my friend pointed out, it was bound to happen at some point. I always like seeing them anyways. Plus I found out I have common ground with the other guy who was riding with us, who I recognize and am familiar with just because we both know we go to the same location and have ridden together before. When he walks up to the lot and I'm standing there, he'll say, "No cars for us, huh?"


I like the connections with people in the slug lot. I also think it's cool when I see old high-school classmates when I'm slugging. I rode in with someone else who graduated my year from high school and his dad. I don't think I'd spoken to him since we graduated. Just adds to the familiarity of the whole process.

No comments:

Post a Comment