Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sometimes I Just Can't Stop Laughing

Uncontrollable laughter. Sometimes it happens randomly and I laugh at something that probably isn't that funny for approximately 20 minutes. It almost always happens when I'm with my siblings, to the point where other people can't understand us. And sometimes it happens when I'm overtired and delirious. 

My close friends in high school, or the ones that had any 5th period class with me (for some reason I was always delirious in 5th period) have a lot of experience with my uncontrollable laughter. My best friend in 8th grade came to the beach with me and experienced one of my most outrageous giggle fits and probably has a better memory about why I was laughing than I do. I have no idea why, but at the time I couldn't stop laughing.
 
Anyways, I'm sure other people occasionally...maybe not as often as me...laugh uncontrollably randomly. But it gets more awkward when I have an urge to laugh uncontrollably while I'm slugging, in a car full of quiet strangers (most of the time). It's only happened a couple of times, I swear.

1. I was reading Tina Fey's autobiography and I forgot where I was. I tried to look out the window away from the book, like that was going to stop me from remembering what I'd just read.

2. I couldn't help but fell asleep in the backseat one day, when I didn't have a book to read and I was really tired (I swear it only happened a few times), and it happened to be on a day when we packed 5 people into a sedan because the line was long and the driver was generous. I woke up in a jerk, after having a dream that I was falling. And not one person looked over at me, but when I realized where I was and what had just happened I started cracking up, and then trying to stifle my laugh.  (Puglisi siblings know the noise I make when I'm trying to stifle my laughs. It was rough.) I think it was almost funnier that no one even flinched.

As a driver the urge usually comes when I look in the backseat and see two grown men passed out with their heads leaning back and mouths open, or snoring, and I'll just about lose it. (People will snore--rarely, but they will-- and that's when everyone else in the car usually looks around and kind of chuckles.) I'm like their mommy dropping them off at the kiss-and-ride at school. It cracks me up. I drive "grown-ups" to work. I don't know why that's funnier than driving slugs that are my age. I guess because some of them are literally my friends' parents? And probably because about half of the people I drive are serious men who go to the Pentagon and do important things, I'm assuming. I don't know how else to explain it, it makes me laugh.

What sparked this whole post idea in my mind was the man that got into my car this morning. He was one of the Army dudes going to the Pentagon, and he got in my car and had a bag or briefcase of some sort he wanted to put down. My sweater that I had worn the day before was in the backseat in the middle, and he looked at it and said, "Do you mind if I move your child's sweater?" without a hesitation. I held back the laugh, and told him no problem. I didn't even bother to correct him because, honestly, I'm 5 feet tall it probably did look like a child's sweater. But it cracked me up. I should have rolled with it and been like, "Oh I forgot that she left that in here." My child's sweater. If I were my Grandma, it would have actually been from the kid's department because she could fit into their clothes and would shop there. It was a sweater from New York and Company, why did he assume it was a child's. It just seemed so funny.
What I'd imagine a child's sweater would look like. 
Ok-not really but it was the best I could find.
Maybe you had to be there. Had to share it anyways. My child's sweater. Too good.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha--I think it's funny because he said the word child maybe? Why not kid? Daughter? I don't know but it does seem funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny. I am at work trying to hold back laughter. Maybe he didn't mean your "child's sweater" but rather your "childs sweater." As in, he sized you up, saw that you probably wear children's size clothing, and decided to be very descriptive about the sweater he was planning to move. Just in case there was an adult sweater back there also.

    I can just hear you sitting in the back seat of that car too trying to stop yourself from laughing when you woke up. I completely understand you laughing when reading the Tina Fey book and at least you could explain yourself to people. But after waking up and bursting into your patented hysterical laugh-supressing throw-up noises, what can you possibly say to make people think you are normal again?

    Good work sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha and I started laughing out loud in CVS as I read this last night. I think it was at the hysterical laugh-suppressing throw up noises. Didn't know it sounded like I was throwing up when I do that. Good to know. And I only had ONE sweater back there, ok!

    ReplyDelete